About Dr. Earl Mindell
Earl L. Mindell R.Ph., M.H., Ph.D. is a best-selling author, pharmacist, health motivator, anti-aging advocate, info-tainer, and internationally recognized expert on Nutrition, Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids and Herbal Remedies. Dr. Mindell has often been referred to as the “Father of the Nutritional Revolution.”
He is the author of 59 health-oriented books that have been translated into 34 languages worldwide, including the all time international best selling nutritional book, The New Vitamin Bible, which has sold over 11 million copies, along with Prescription Alternatives and The Herb Bible.
My professional education was strictly establishment when it came to vitamins. My courses in pharmacology, biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, and public health hardly dealt with vitamins at all-except in relation to deficiency diseases.
- Lack of Vitamin C? Scurvy
- Out of B1? Berberi
- Not enough Vitamin D? Rickets
My courses were the standard fare, with the usual references to a balanced diet and eating the “Right Foods” (all unappetizingly illustrated on semi glossy charts).
There were no references to vitamins being used for disease prevention or as paths to optimum health.
In 1965, I opened my first pharmacy, Until then I never realized just how many drugs people were taking, not for illness but simply to get through the day. (I had one patient who had prescriptions for pills to supplant virtually all his bodily functions—and he wasn’t even sick!)
Dr. Earl Mindell’s New Vitamin Bible
My partner at the time was very vitamin-oriented. Both of us were working fifteen hours a day, but only I looked and felt it. He didn’t. When I asked him what his secret was, he said it was not secret at all. It was vitamins. I realized what he was talking about had very little to do with scurvy and beriberi and a lot to do with me. I instantly became an eager pupil, and have never since regretted it. He taught me the benefits that could be reaped from nature’s own foods in the form of vitamins, how:
- B-complex and C could alleviate stress
- How Vitamin E would increase my endurance and stamina
- How B12 could eliminate fatigue
After embarking on the most elementary vitamin regimens I was not only convinced, I was converted.
Suddenly nutrition became the most important thing in my life. I read every book I could find on the subject, clipped articles and tracked down their sources, dug out my pharmacy school texts and discovered the amazingly close relationship that did indeed exist between biochemistry and nutrition. I attended any health lecture I could.
A whole new world had opened up to me and I wanted to share it with others. My partner understood completely. We began giving out samples of B Complex and B12 tablets to our patients, suggesting they try decreasing their dependency on anti-anxiety drugs, pep pills, sleeping pills and pain pills with supplements and nutritionally dense foods.
The results were remarkable. People kept coming back to tell us how much better and more energetic they felt.
By 1970, I was totally committed to nutrition and preventive medicine. Seeing the paucity of knowledge in the area. I went into partnership with another pharmacist for the prime purpose of making natural vitamins and accurate nutrition information available to the public.
In 1979, I wrote The Vitamin Bible which became a best-seller and has sold over 11 million copies and has been translated into 34 different languages. The Herb Bible and Prescription Alternatives are among the 56 other books I have written on health and nutrition.
Today, as a nutritionist, lecturer and author, I’m still excited about that world that was opened to me over forty years ago – a world that continues to grow with new discoveries daily – and I’m eager to share it.
Ongoing research is a never ending job, one I gladly pursue.
I would love to see people take as good care of themselves as they do their dogs, cats, automobiles, rose bushes and front lawns. I want to help more and more people worldwide attain the goal of OPTIMAL HEALTH.
More on Dr. Earl Mindell
- Registered Pharmacist, Master Herbalist and holds a Ph.D. in Nutrition
- Awarded the President’s Citation for Exemplary Service from Bastyr University for his contributions to the health and well being of humanity, 2012
- Inducted into the California Pharmacists Association Hall of Fame in 2007, for being an icon in the fields of Health, Pharmacy, and Complimentary Health
- Awarded the President’s Award from the National Nutritional Food Association, for his longtime contributions in the National Products Industry, 2002
- Serves on the Board of Directors of the California College of Natural Medicine, from 2005 to present
- Serves on the Dean’s Professional Advisory Group, School of Pharmacy, Chapman University, 2014 to present
- Currently an Associate Professor at Chapman University, School of Pharmacy
- Served on the International Board of Nutrition for Nestle International for 6 years, speaking on innovative and healthy products
- Spoke with Get Motivated Seminars from 1999 to 2009, with such luminaries as Colin Powell, Rudy Giuliani, Zig Zigler, President George Bush, President George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, President Gerald Ford. Elizabeth and Bob Dole, William Shatner and Christopher Reeves
- He has appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Live with Regis and Cathy Lee, Good Morning America, CNN, The David Letterman Show and has been on more than 300 radio and TV shows worldwide